Position Title: Bartender
Accountable To: Dining Room Manager, Restaurant Supervisor, FOH Manager, Director of F&B
Primary Functions of Position
- Food & Beverage o Must have a strong knowledge of drink preparation and applicable health standards. o Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, ordinances and regulations and Company policy regarding serving alcohol to minors and intoxicated patrons o Prepare and service beverages for servers and guests in a speedy, efficient, friendly, and professional manner o Prepare drink orders for guests according to specified recipes using measuring systems o Ensure that minors and intoxicated persons are not served alcoholic beverages. o Act as the cashier for the servers when necessary o Issue, open, and serve wine/champagne bottles o Attend to tables in the dining area o Set up and maintain cleanliness and condition of bar, bar unit, tables, and other tools.
Prepare fresh garnishes for drinks o Restock bar with liquor, ice, glassware, and paper supplies o Transport supplies to bar set- up area o Wash soiled glassware. Remove soiled wares from bar top and tables and place in designated area o Anticipate and communicate replenishment needs o Count bank at end of shift, complete designated cashier reports, resolve any discrepancies, drop off receipts, and secure bank. Secure liquors, beers, wines, coolers, cabinets, and storage areas o Complete opening and closing inventory of spirits
- Customer Service o Take every opportunity to amaze the guests using Company Customer Service Standards o Smile, have eye contact any greet guests immediately o Handle special requests properly; anticipate guest’s needs o Promptly respond and resolve guest complaints o Answer telephone promptly and properly being polite, courteous and friendly o Be friendly, thorough, accurate and efficient in taking dining room and room service orders o Present checks to guests promptly o Use guests’ names o Actively ask for feedback from guests
- Safety and Security o Properly handle and account for keys o Document all maintenance issues
o Properly document all transactions o Handle and account for all cash, checks, and credit cards o Adhere to proper procedures for charging drinks to guest rooms o Balance and close shift properly o Be knowledgeable of policies regarding emergency procedures and security concerns o Adhere to all state and federal requirements regarding to the sale of alcohol o Adhere to all Health Department requirements
- Teamwork Skills o Be an enthusiastic, helpful and positive member of the team o Assist servers, other bartenders, and bar porters when necessary o Be professional, responsible and mature in conduct and behavior o Be understanding of, encouraging to and friendly with all co-workers o Be self-motivated and use time wisely o Maintain open line of communications with each department o Communicate pertinent information o Respond positively to new ideas o Openly accept critical/developmental feedback o Be available to help other departments in emergency situations o Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies established by the company including, but not limited to those contained in the associate handbook
Education and Experience
- High school or equivalent education required
- One year of high volume bar service required
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must have a strong knowledge of drink preparation and applicable health standards.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, ordinances and regulations and Company policy regarding serving alcohol to minors and intoxicated patrons.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Good knowledge of the hotel, its services and facilities.
- Familiarity with all menu items
- Must have knowledge of and be able to operate all equipment related to the outlet, including, but not limited to, coffee maker and cash terminal.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10 degrees F) and kitchens (+110 degrees F), possibly for one hour or more
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 4 hours in length
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously
- Must be able to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs
- Must have the ability to bend, squat and lift 40 lbs on a regular and continuing basis and occasionally lift up to 75 lbs
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception
- Talking and hearing occur continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment, including, but not limited to, cutlery used in cutting of fruit
Other Job Requirements
- Must have Alcohol Awareness Certification and Food Handlers Certification
- All associates must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Company Standards
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings are required
- Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with the Company’s rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel facilities. Associates who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment
This job description is not an “all-inclusive’ list of the duties and responsibilities of this position or of the skills and abilities required to perform this position.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $12.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Upscale casual restaurant
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
Weekly day range:
- Bartending: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: In person